Friday, December 31, 2010

8:19 PM - 1 comment

Blessed Beyond Words

2010 is rapidly coming to a close as I sit to write this. And today, I had time on my drive back from Georgia to think about this year. While many folks are glad to see one year end and look forward to the next one with anticipation, I think I can honestly say this has been a good year for me.

The last few years have been tough… not just on me, but on my family and some close friends, as well. For those of you who have read my book, I touch on some of the strife we have faced. But truthfully, I didn’t even scratch the surface.

But this year, things finally seemed to turn around. I had to realize that in order to move forward, you sometimes have to let go of what’s holding you back. And I did that. And I think that by having the faith to let go, He has shown us the blessings that were there all the time.

If you’re reading this, you are part of my blessings. Your friendship inspires me to write things on here. I normally try to keep them lite and humorous, but sometimes, such as this, humor isn’t the appropriate avenue.

A few months back, a project I had wanted to complete for a few years came to fruition. My little book Funny Things Happen In a War Zone was published. And you, my FaceBook friends, were SOOO instrumental in getting the word out by sharing the link on your pages.

I have been so blessed at the feedback I have received from this project. Folks have read it and messaged me about how it touched them… made them realize they weren’t the only one… were surprised about it affecting me… or thanked me for helping them cope with the loss of someone in their life. WOW! That was the whole purpose behind the story… to help someone… anyone. Even one. And to think it started as a joke… and took me years of playing around with it.

And also this year, I realized another dream. One that began years and years ago when I was a kid. But it never went away. I was blessed to be employed by an absolutely awesome musician/singer. I got to meet and become friends with people I had idolized for many years of my life. When some folks were thinking… “Oh no… tomorrow is Monday. I have to go to work.” I was thinking “Oh GREAT!! Tomorrow is Monday and I GET to go to work.”

We, as a family, have been blessed beyond measure this year. We have a church that we love. And one thing I love about it is that it believes in giving. They plan events for the community… not JUST the church. We all need to give. And we all CAN if we’ll look outside the box. Your gift might not be of money, but if you seek a path, He will show you the way.

The Christmas I shared with my family just a week ago was the best I have had in years. I actually felt good… both physically and mentally. Many of the burdens that I had allowed to hold me back for so long were gone. I felt renewed.

I’m blessed that my family supported me during my struggle. Many wouldn’t have. And while the battle isn’t over, we’re looking ahead with confidence. There are still low points, but thankfully, none have reached the point where desperation has set in.

So to my family, the special someones (you know who you are), and to you reading this note… at least I HOPE you’re still reading… thank you. Thank you for being in my life, reading my rambles, and making my life so special. It’s because of friends like you, that I really realized today that I am truly blessed beyond words.

And that’s MY take.

1 comments:

Wow! You're an amazing man! Thanks for the words of wisdom!!

Post a Comment