Friday, April 2, 2010

6:24 AM - 3 comments

Grandma Is Stingy

Jealousy has been around forever. In Genesis 4:8, Cain killed his brother, Abel, out of jealousy. So this isn’t a new emotion that has just become popular. And many times, it is partnered with another long-time emotion: greed. It seems they frequently go hand-in-hand.

For example: Theresa and Rose are two sisters from Connecticut. They’ve been seeing each other pretty regular lately. They sit in the same room… although on opposite sides. It seems Theresa and Rose are locked in a legal battle over… of all things… a lottery ticket.

It appears Rose bought a lottery ticket. And won. $500,000.00. A nice tidy sum to be sure. And it appears that Theresa wants half. After all… they ARE sisters. And it seems they had an agreement. A WRITTEN agreement.

The sisters often used to gamble together, and had a contract that stated they would split all their winnings. But after a rift formed over a small debt, they supposedly ended the agreement. Until Rose -- in partnership with her brother -- bought the half-million-dollar winning ticket. When Theresa found out about the win, she wanted a share of the money, and has taken her sister to court to get it.

Theresa was shouting, 'I don't want to be your partner anymore.' I said all right, that was it, I tore up my contract," Rose said, sitting about 25 feet from Theresa.

Theresa has acknowledged they had a tiff, but believes the contract was still in place. That’s what I would say, too. For $250,000.00… I might say a LOT!! Heck… I say a lot for WAAAAAYYYYY less than $250,000.00.

After the disagreement, Rose teamed with their brother, Joseph Troy Sr. In 2005, he used Rose's numbers to buy a ticket. That ticket was the $500,000 winner.

Theresa’s attorney said Rose should have split the jackpot, calling the court action "unfortunate." I’m sure he is finding it unfortunate. I’ll bet his fee is MUCH higher if Theresa wins.

One thing Theresa has maintained throughout is that the thing she is most upset about is she's lost a relationship with her sister, and that's the unfortunate by-product of this. I have to agree. Why would you let this drag on for FIVE years… the ticket was bought in 2005… when you never know how much time you have left.

Oh… I forgot to mention one important detail: Theresa is 84 years old. And Rose is 81. And the winners in all of this? The attorneys.

And that’s MY take.

3 comments:

Pathetic. And the ticket is still good after all these years? I say give it to the brother. He bought the damn thing!

That is a pathetic story. My sisters and brother are worth more to me than the money. I would willing share it with them. Now my husbands family is a different story.

That is a pathetic story. My sisters and brother are worth more to me than the money. I would willing share it with them. Now my husbands family is a different story.

Post a Comment