Monday, March 8, 2010

9:12 AM - No comments

I Agree With Mr. White

I appreciate good humor… both the ice cream and things that make me laugh. And Ron White of the “Blue Collar Comedy Tour” fame summed up my thoughts exactly a while back. I agree that you can’t fix stupid.

Stupid is normally ingrained in a person. Folks are just born stupid. And like he said, you can’t fix it. There are varying degrees, too. Some people are just a little stupid. They do dumb things. Like blowing the horn at a cop that is writing your ticket to get him to hurry up. That’s just dumb. But that person might be ok most of the time and just had a momentary lapse of judgment.

Others are just off the chart. It seems that every move they make makes you want to stop and go… “Hmmmm…” Their stupidity has normally been passed down through generations. It’s in their DNA. I truly believe sometimes that they just can’t help it.

Maybe Grandma sniffed the gasoline too much. Uncle-Brother howled at the moon. Cousin June-Bugg rode the short bus all six years of fifth grade. I don’t know what excuse some folks have. But I really believe they just can’t help it sometimes.

On the OTHER hand, there are some folks that just do stuff that makes me want to grab their face between both my hands, look them straight in the eyes, and in a very clear, calm voice, scream at the top of my lungs… “JUST WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING??”

Case in point: a visitor to the Lincoln Park Zoo in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, lost her thumb and index finger and had two other fingers partially severed. How did it happen? I’m GLAD you asked.

Did she shut them in the car door on the way into the park? No. Did she fall down some steps? Uh uh. Was she bored with the concession food and attempt to chop her fingers off with the spork? Nope.

She, and I quote here, “ignored barriers and warning signs to try to feed two Asiatic black bears.” Her boyfriend was bitten as he tried to pry the bear's mouth off her hand, but he didn't lose any fingers. This is NOT a learned trait. You do not wake up one morning and just decide to head to the zoo, bypass all the barriers, ignore the signs, and stick your hand in a bear’s cage. That much stupidity isn’t learned in a lifetime. You have to be born with it.

And the good news out of this incident? Her 3-year-old granddaughter wasn't injured. I can just see this lady now talking to her granddaughter… “Honey, don’t EVER let me see you do this…” Care to make a bet that child will never put her hand in a bear cage? Of course, she won’t ever put her hand in a BIRD cage, either.

Just so you know, I see items like this and I do a little research. I find them on reputable sites, but I still like to dig a little deeper to see what else I can find. And what I found about this story made me smile. The Lincoln Park Zoo in Manitowoc, Wisconsin is Operated and Maintained by the Manitowoc Parks & Recreation Department. I wish my town had recreation like this. I’d have my chair down there every day.

That’s my spin.

0 comments:

Post a Comment