Sunday, February 7, 2010

6:48 PM - No comments

But I Have an Appointment

It’s 10:00am, the first Saturday of the month. So I head to where I always go at 10:00am on the first Saturday of every month. To get my hair cut. Every month. The first Saturday. At 10:00am. And it’s because I have an appointment.

Webster’s defines an appointment as:

Main Entry: ap•point•ment

Pronunciation: \ə-ˈpȯint-mənt\

Function: noun

Date: 15th century

1 : an arrangement for a meeting : engagement

So why am I telling you this? I’m glad you asked. Because being the punctual person that I am, I arrived at my 10:00am haircut appointment at 9:45am. I HATE to be late. So I walked in, had a seat, and started reading my newspaper that I brought with me.

I bring my newspaper because I don’t want to read about how many kids the Duggars think are too many (obviously 18 ain’t it. Those folks REALLY need to get a TV or something). I’m not overly concerned about how the Jackson kids are coping. I’m not losing sleep over the wife of South Carolina’s cheating governor telling all. And you can only look at so many hair-do books. So I bring my newspaper.

So I go in, sit down, and open my paper 15 minutes early. And Matilda (yes… the names have been changed to protect the innocent) proceeded to tell me she was running late by a “few minutes.” If I need to run an errand or go grab something to eat, that would be fine. I didn’t. There was no need. Because I had an appointment. For 10:00am. Because it was the first Saturday of the month. So finally, at 10:25am, on the first Saturday of the month, I left. Without my haircut. Even though I mistakenly THOUGHT I HAD AN APPOINTMENT. My bad.

I’ve found this is not a new phenomenon. Folks performing a “service” seldom realize that those of us paying their salary have schedules and commitments to meet. Not that I PERSONALLY have any schedules and commitments to meet since I am a Bum, but the rest of you might.

So why do I bother to make an appointment? Why can’t I just walk in and expect them to drop everything and service me? And again, it wasn’t just my beautician… uhhhh… I mean hair cut provider. My doctor. My eye doctor. They are all guilty. Is their time more valuable than mine? I actually got up and left my eye doctor’s office one day. Never had to wait again.

Now on the positive side, I NEVER have to wait at my psychiatrist’s office. Poor guy is probably scared to death of what would happen. I’m in and out of there in nothing flat. In fact, I’d gladly put my appointments with him up against any NASCAR pit stop time ANY day.

But that being said, what happened to scheduling an appointment, being on time, and getting in and out like you’re supposed to? Is that too much to ask? Isn’t that the purpose of an appointment anyway?

I guess I’ll find out next month on the first Saturday… at 10:00am. Because that’s my next appointment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment